The Trough

News Business
California commercial feed manufacturers: Who needs a license?

Avatar photo

May 24, 2023
By Bree Rody

The California Department of Food and Agriculture has released a notice to the state’s commercial feed industry emphasizing that, per the California Food and Agricultural Code (FAC) Section 15051(a), each person shall obtain a license from the CDFA for each location where commercial feed is manufactured, distributed, sold or stored for later sale in the state.

The person ho holds the license should be the person who is manufacturing, distributing, selling or storing commercial feed at that location. “Person” means any individual, corporation, partnership, limited liability company, trust, association, cooperative association or other business unit.

Brokers are also required to obtain commercial feed licenses for their place of business. However, a broker should not obtain a commercial feed license on behalf of any location operated by another person or business.

Additional clarification regarding when a commercial feed license is required is provided in a new infographic, “Do I Need a Commercial Feed License?


Print this page


Stories continue below